Westland Lysander Mk I
RAF No.6 Sqn, RAF Ramleh, Palestine, 1940
Limited Edition of 4050
Wingspan: 8.25 Inches
Length: 5.25 Inches
From the Aviation Archive Collection
From the Corgi Site:
Overseas, Lysanders had replaced Audaxes in No. 208 Squadron in Egypt in April 1939, and the squadron’s new aircraft saw action in the Western Desert alongside Hawker Hurricanes of the same squadron which were being used for tactical reconnaissance. The squadron later took part in the Greek campaign, it’s Lysanders being replaced by Tomahawks in 1942. No.6 Squadron at Ramleh, Palestine, operated a variety of aircraft, and was using Hawker Hardies and Gloster Gauntlets when it received its Lysanders in February 1940. Following problems in Palestine, the squadron had relocated there in 1938 reverting to the Army Cooperation role. It eventually left Palestine and started operations in the Western Desert, with Lysanders, in September 1940,although the squadron HQ remained in Palestine.
Gradually Hurricanes replaced Lysanders in the tactical reconnaissance role, being fully equipped by June 1941. However, in August, these were replaced by Lysanders and Gladiators with some Blenheims and Hurricanes being added later, but all were removed again in January 1942 when the squadron assumed maintenance duties. Although withdrawn from first-line service, Lysander’s continued in operation for a variety of other roles as target-tugs, air-sea rescue aircraft and, least publicized at the time, with the Special Operations Executive (SOE), which formed three squadrons (Nos. 138, 161 and 357), using a mixed bag of aircraft which included Lysander’s, maintained contact with resistance groups in occupied Europe, dropping ammunition, explosives, radios and other equipment and transporting agents to and from the continent. It was in these night operations in occupied territory that the Lysander’s really came into its own, being able to use its remarkable short landing and take-off capabilities to the utmost in the small fields marked out by the resistance. Lysander Mk Ibis and Mk Ixias were used for this work, 367 of the former and 347 of the latter being built, powered by the 870 hp (649 kW) Bristol Mercury XX or 30 engines. Final production variant was the Totem IIIA target-tug, of which 100 were built. Figures for total Lysander production vary, as a number of aircraft were cancelled, but around 1,652 were built, including 225 under license in Canada by National Steel Car Corporation Limited (Victory Aircraft Limited) in Malton (Toronto).
This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 28 April, 2010.